About Me/Contact

Friday, May 6, 2011

The Birth of a Mama

There are moments so significant that the passing of time does not fade them, no amount of life lived changes their impact on a soul.  Three times I've received such blessing and three times I've been nearly ushered into His throne room, that place where sacred meets secular, eager to receive His tender grace wrapped in blue or pink.

That first bundle; sky blue, oh how he was prayed for! Two and a half years to be exact, and when he came into this world, with that smell of heaven still upon his skin, we rejoiced, thanking God for his grace, all the while knowing we didn't deserve such lavish gift.  Twice more the blessing of new life came; pink, blue.  Each birthed from the same earthly parents, yet fashioned uniquely by their Heavenly Father.  At the birth of the third our house was full, as well my soul.


Nearly thirteen years later, I am a woman changed.  All those days of swaddling and soothing, turned into years of kissing scrapes and mending hearts, growing the young.  The work is ongoing and knows no rest.  And the tears, mine and theirs, they have survived the years; an often companion.  Some hot and angry, others proud and bittersweet.  Each one that falls shapes and molds me, requiring more of me than I ever thought I could give.  I bear the marks of motherhood, that daily stretching of self, on my body; stomach and hips.

And on my heart. 

I have known no other journey like this, this one that keeps me on my knees for no benefit to me, but all for them.  The path that keeps me surrendered to Him for them; that they might walk in blessing.  All the while knowing, "He gently leads those that have young." {Isa. 40:11}


 Many are the days I exhale the relief of knowing this load of raising the young is not mine alone to bear.  He goes before me, and lives within me, and He loves mine even more than I.  I don't have to be a perfect parent because He already is.  Knowing this I am free to enjoy these days, these sticky, sweet blackberry kisses days, these climbing trees and picking flowers and catching frogs days.  I will savor each and every day His grace allows, never wishing for time to move faster.  It will move fast enough without my help.

Wherever you find yourself today, whether it be with a messy, noisy house full of little ones, or maybe your nest is empty and you're relishing that, or if home is too quiet and your heart aches for the longing of just one, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Happiest Mother's Day, Friends!


Blessings,
Kim

4 comments:

  1. Kim, You are an amazing writer. You can put into words what most of us can't even begin to. Thank you for a wonderful reminder of why we do what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you might need to repost this one again NEXT Mother's Day. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, So glad to see Dawn read & posted. I knew we would all be blessed. You have blessed my heart!! Can't wait for the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I loved reading your blog postings! What a gift for writing and sharing the Lord has given you. Thanks for giving me your "blog card" today! There's something about written words that can really capture me and I can see that God has given you this gift. Take His leading and follow....let the Holy Spirit guide you and may His words speak through you to minister to so others, for it did to me today. I'm so glad to know you and call you friend!!

    ReplyDelete