About Me/Contact

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Refueling for the Fall

 Ok... I have a confession to make.

 I do not like to refuel.  I'm the girl driving around town with my gas light on, seeing just how far I can go before I need to pull in to the nearest gas stagtion - praying all the while that I don't have to call AAA and admit that I've run out of gas.

You see, buying fuel for my car is just not the same as buying, say, a new scarf, or piece of jewelry, or even a lovely handbag.  Never once have I had a girlfriend compliment me on my new tank of gas.  It just doesn't happen.  But refueling is critical if I'm going to go anywhere.

Here is what I know about myself:  I am a girl who will run herself ragged trying to get all the items on my 'to-do' list crossed off for the day.  This leaves me empty, without anything to go on.  Oh, I'm as pleasant as they come in the pick-up line at school and I can put a smile on my face when I'm out and about.  But when I get home, I'm grouchy, impatient and unpleasant.

I have been a mama and a wife long enough to know that a dry well quenches no one's thirst.  I will be like that juice box that has had the very last sucked out of it - dry, shriveled up, no good to anyone.  If I don't intentionally stop and refuel, I will run my tank dry.  Refueling is essential if I'm going to get anywhere.

Do you know what I do to refill my tank?  Take a guess.

Ok, I'll tell you.

Bible study.

Mmm hmmm, yep.  It's that simple.  I find a group or choose a study to do on my own, at home.  Truth be told, I'm just a little bit addicted to Bible study, doing two or more at a time.  This fall I am co-leading a study with a dear friend of many years.  I also have chosen this one to do at home:                                                                                


It is called 'Choosing Simplicity - Embracing the Benefits of a Simpler Life.'  It is a Women of Faith study that I grabbed at my local Christian bookstore.  My quiet time consists of lighting a candle {Yankee Candle's Spiced Pumpkin}, a cup of my favorite chai {in my favorite mug that says 'Believe' - fitting, don't you think?} and me and the Lord just spending time together.  Oh, sometimes we laugh, most times I cry, but I always walk away from my table refueled and ready for the day.  I just need that time in His word to keep a right perspective and strength for whatever may come.

How about you?  What are you studying this fall?

Blessings,
{K}

No comments:

Post a Comment