About Me/Contact

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Embracing the Perfectly Imperfect



Playing this role of a lifetime without a script is no easy feat!!  What mom can pull that off?

When I was a, shall we say, less seasoned mom, I thought I had to be the perfect mom who raised perfect children in a perfect home.  Often times I looked around me and saw other moms who {I thought} had it all going on.  There was one in particular.  She was amazing.  She was a super mom in my eyes.  I would leave after having spent time with her and feel like there was just no way I could ever be as good as her.

I would go home and ask God to make me better... make me more like her.  I would try to be more like her with my kids and do you know what?  I was miserable.  They were miserable.  Trying to be someone else with MY kids just wasn't working!

Then one day I re-read the story of Mary.  You know, THE Mary - mother of Jesus.  And it hit me right between the eyes.  Even she, the mother of the Savior of the World, didn't meet the standard of Super Mom I had set for myself.  She knew about as much about parenting as I did when I first found out I was expecting.  Only I had the benefit of about 10 more years of life experience than she did.  All she had was a willingness to follow where God led.

That's it.

Well, I had that.

Right then and there I laid aside my measuring stick of perfection and the insecurities that came with comparing myself to other moms.  And I felt free.  I was held to no one's standard but my own.

Over time I began to see my perceived weaknesses as strengths:

*I am not the most flexible mom in the world, but give me a tad bit of notice and ample time to freak out over my newly rearranged schedule, and I'll happily change what I'm doing.
*I don't always have an organized devotional time with my kids, but I pray mightily for them every day when I am on my treadmill. {And their spouses and children and on and on...}
*I may not always keep my mouth closed tight when facing stressful situations, but I am good at apologizing and asking for forgiveness from my kids.
*I may not be able to sew a stitch, but I know a certain Gram who happily stitches away.
* I love to bake... and that alone should be enough, don't you think??

There is much room for growth in my parenting - God and I work on it daily.  But I have learned to embrace the perfectly imperfect me.

And while I still fall short at times, I have finally accepted that being me, fully me, as the mom I am, is far better than trying to be an imitation of someone else.  I have the qualities my kids need in their mother.  Plain and simple.  I am enough.

Every morning I lift a prayer to the heavens and ask God to help me be the best mom I can be to my kids.  Present, attentive, flexible and carrying a plate of cookies {that always helps!}  How about you?  Ever struggled trying to be something you are not?  At home? In the work place? I'd love to talk it over here if you'll share!

Blessings,
{K}

Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment