About Me/Contact

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Seasonal Antecdote

Well, I think it's official.... I have SAD.  No, I'm not sad, I have SAD {Seasonal Affective Disorder}.

I felt this same way last January and the January before it.  I get the winter blahs.  I lose my 'mojo', so to speak.  I long for summer's warm temperatures and lazy days.  I wish to be on a white sand beach, playing with my family.  I want to smell fresh cut grass and roast marshmallows over the fire.  Instead I am tired, bone tired and weary, sick of the cold and dirty snow, and ready to wrap up school.  Enough of winter already!!  I am ready to throw open the windows, paint every wall in my house a crisp white and put on my flip flops!

Our busy schedule this time of year and increased homework don't help either.  Did you know that third quarter is when the kids learn the most?  And at an accelerated pace none the less?  I never knew that until our oldest hit third or fourth grade.  Around here we refer to it as 'the quarter of death by homework'.  Add in basketball season {x2} and the Pinewood Derby and the great 'should we do early college testing or not?' debate, and you have a recipe for one SAD mama.

This year I am determined to counter the effects of this SAD season.  Fortunately, a really fun little box arrived on our doorstep the other day.  In it was pure sunshine!!  That sweet man of mine has a friend in California who just happens to have a Meyer lemon tree growing in his backyard.  He sent a lovely box full of those beauties to us and I am soooo excited!!  They smell amazing and look great in a big white bowl on our kitchen table.

                                            

This photo of pure lovely-ness was found at whiteonricecouple.com.  Their food blog is simply stunning and where I found the recipe for the Meyer Lemonade I am making today.  It is going to be part of the tonic I need to lift these winter blahs and put  smiles on the faces of everyone in my home.  I'll post the recipe here or you can click on the link to find it - I'm sure you could substitute regular lemons and get the same fabulous results.

I found the other part of my tonic in my quiet time this morning.

"But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head.  I was crying out to the Lord with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain.   -Psalm 3:3-4 {NASB}

He grounds my feet and is the lifter of my head.  He is water {or lemonade, in this case} for my parched and weary soul.  He alone is my holy need-meeter and the sunshine in my day.  He delights in showing me that He is the answer-er of prayers and the rock on which I stand.  He is the One.  He is the ONE!

Now go out and make some lemonade, Sweet Friends!

Recipe:

1/2 C. fresh Meyer lemon juice
1 C. simple syrup {recipe follows}
4 C. water
rosemary sprigs * {optional}
Combine all ingredients in pitcher.  Make sure to drop in a few lemon rinds so that the essential oils in the rind can further infuse the lemonade.  {emphasis mine}


Simple Syrup recipe:
2 C. water
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 C. light corn syrup
Combine all ingredients in saucepan.  Stir and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 15-20 seconds, then remove from heat.  Allow to cool and store in sterile jar in refrigerator.

Blessings,
{K}

No comments:

Post a Comment